Friday, January 15, 2010

one week into one post

Hey everyone!! Sorry its been so long but we have been pretty busy this last week.
To start with last Sunday we went to zone visit. It was my first zone visit:) We took a bus with the Brighton congregation into Georgetown. It was a 3 hour bus ride and with all the Guyanese on the bus it was a loud one indeed. I sat next to Niasia, who wanted to chat about nothing in particular the whole ride there. She sits there and signs about things that havent actually happened, so it gives me something interesting to write at least. When we arrived we spotted the sign language interpreting section across the stadium. We were so excited when we got over there and saw DC standing up getting things ready! We were finally able to see our wonderful DC and Sarah:) It has been one of our favorite moments here. To all the Portland people I think its safe to say that they would like us to say hello for them and they miss you all. So we met many people from all over that are involved in sign, so hopefully we will be able to see them again and maybe go and visit them. So first we had the watchtower study then the zone overseer gave a talk. His theme was walking with god in integrity, it was a very encouraging talk. Also he shared some experiences from the upcoming yearbook, which if you all dont know yet its Albania. I wont tell you any details but the stories he shared were really interesting.

So afterwards we had to leave relatively soon but were able to meet a few people from a nearby city named Hopetown. It turns out that deaf search hasnt been done there so we think that hopefully we will get up there before we leave and see what we can do up there. Otherwise we got on the bus and ate chinese food, it was delicious. I was able to hang out with a 3 year old boy named Joshuah. He is the cutest little kid ever. He liked my sunglasses so we traded for the ride home. Mine were spiderman during that drive:) Very much worth it.

Not really too much has gone on since then, we are doing a lot of bible studies and right now we are enjoying the circuit overseer visit. He and his wife are really sweet. He is from Lousiana and she is from Mexico. They served as cos in california and then were invited to gilead. After graduating gilead they were assigned to Guyana and served in a congregation 30 minutes up the road from Brighton. Now they are serving as circuit overseer in this same area. They both learned a little bit of sign so they can communicate with the deaf they meet that go to the different congregations around here. Niasia was very excited.

So I do have yet another funny crazy grandmother story. Today was the study with Jem who has the crazy grandma who was the feature of my last post. We went up to see Jem and when we got to the gate we noticed that it was tied up with cloth in so many knots we dont know where one began and one ended. so after a few minutes Granny and Jem noticed we were there and Jem came over with a huge knife to cut the cloth so we could come in. So after sawing it loose we followed Jem into the gate. She pointed to the bench where she was grating coconut and Granny was sitting there rocking back and forth. So I gtrabbed my dvd player and set it up so that Jem could watch while still doing her chores. So while Jem watched Granny started talking to me and the "person" sitting next to her.

She was talking to us meaning dani,i,and the invisible person sitting next to her. I tried to ignore her for awhile but then I couldn't help myself. She told me that her brother and sister were walking around but I couldn't see them. She repeated that many times over and over again. Then she looked at the person sitting next to her and said these girls cant see them, maybe in a month or two, but now they can't. Then she said they cant see you either. Then started talking to them in creolese while rocking back and forth. I couldnt help but laugh. Then when we were done Jem walked with us back to the gate I looked at her and pointed to Granny and asked her if she was crazy. Jem smiled shook her head yes and walked away.

Well thats all the excitment I have to share for today. I hope you all are enjoying all the crazy things that have been happening to me. Until next time- Faith

4 comments:

  1. We have our CO visit this week. I am really looking forward to it. Bodie commented at meeting yesterday. Highlight of my week. Kyle is going to OR to visit soon and then ride back with Gma & Gpa so they can come visit for a couple of weeks. I am excited about that. Glad all is well. Keep up the post's. I look everyday to see what's new. Love ya Sis!! ~Auntie Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet... I just got my bootleg copy of the Zone Overseer talk... Watching it now.... so far he is talking alot about walking ;-)
    should be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I looked at her and pointed to Granny and asked her if she was crazy."

    You really had to ask?...

    Glad you're still alive. The experiences have been awesome. Any more tarantula stories, or have you "wiped out every existing thing that was on the surface of the ground"? Stay warm and well fed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this blog. Still got 3 more months to read through, and greatly looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete