Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hey everyone so today we went out some bible studies in them 50 village area. It was the most productive day we have had so far, not saying much considering we have been here for a little over 2 weeks now but we were pretty excited. We went to 4 studies-Sumintra, Natalie, Rani, and Jem. My favortie is Sumintra. She is about 30 and lives with her mother, brother and sister. Her family was really supportive of her, they helped her learn enough sign to get by in a conversation. The family is so sweet, they have us sit and we chat for a while and they are very hospitable. Today we finished the first chapter of the bible teach book. She is very shy but is starting to warm up to us, so she was very happy when we told her we would be back next week. Then we went to Rani, she is an 8 year old girl that is blind her left eye. She has a very short attention span and her living situation isnt good. She lives with her grandparents and father, they all act as though she is choosing to ignore them rather than realize that when they call her name she really cant hear them. She doesnt know any sign so we are working on teaching her practical signs as well as spiritual signs. Today though we were showing pictures from the you can be god's friend brochure and her grandmother started asking questions. So while Dani worked with Rani I was able to talk to her grandmother and place the brochure with her. It looks like I will have something to do while Dani works with Rani on her signing:)

After that we went up to see Natalie who is a young mother about 28 years old. Her little boy came up during the study and he wasnt too happy he wasnt the center of attention so he took his moms pencil and was writing on the wood. My favorite though was when he started licking her elbow in his desperate attempt for attention. Natalie just acted as though it wasnt happening. He finally gave up and decided to stand by his mothers side and whine. After the study was over we asked her if she would like to join us to new amsterdam this sunday for the full ASL meeting they have once a month. She said yes, she has come before but stopped because there wasnt anyone to go with her. More exciting news is that the other bible study Jem that we went to next will also be going with us. So with those 2 and Niasa who goes to all the meetings anyway we will be bringing 3 deaf with us to new amsterdam. There possibly will be more depending how the studies go on Saturday.

Other than service we dont do too much. We went to the market yesterday, it was nice because its getting easier for us to do things and not feel so awkward. Like walking around and buying things, we actually look like we have a slight idea of what we are doing. But otherwise we spend a lot of time at our house. Shameniel stays with us a lot and looks like in addition to Abi coming in February there is another sister that will be staying with us starting in January. Her name is Dana and shes from the states, it will be nice to have another person in the house. Oh something interesting about Guyana is that Christmas time people dress up like they are half dead and walk around with pans singing. It is supposed to ward off the evil spirits in the village. It was pretty scary walking by them while they are screaming at the top of their lungs and they are halfway dressed. Oh and for all those Napoleon Dynamite fans out there here is a good story. We got on a bus to come home and I was sitting by the guy who works the door to the bus. He asks me how my day is and if I am ready for the holidays. Instead of continuing to speak to him I just said no. He looks at me and asks me if I have made any cakes yet. I once again told him no and looked forward. Right before we were getting off the bus he looks at me and asks me if I would build him a cake. Either he was serious or he has a very good serious face because he looked very serious. Thank goodness we got off when we did because I was trying so hard not to laugh that I was almost in tears. That is my great Guyanese men story for today, it seems I get a new one everyday. Tomorrow I have the pioneer meeting with the elders and a gathering after, it sounds like a fun time to me. I will fill you in on more tomorrow night.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Tobia,
    I'm a brother from South Dakota, and I'm friends with Rachel Dilger in Miami.
    I just started following this blog, and I'm so glad I did, I'm an an ASL group here in Rapid City, and I'll be moving to Denver to help start a new congregation in Highlands Ranch soon.
    When I read your blog, I welled up with happy tears, you're not only helping those who need the truth there, you're helping inspire us who are learning a new language to be more self sacrificing. Thank You!
    I can't wait to share this with my wife and daughter!
    Your Brother, Tobia Kazmer

    ReplyDelete