Saturday, December 19, 2009

First bible studies by ourselves

Hey all so today we went up into the 50 village area and did some bible studies. Our first stop was Ashna, she is about 13 and knows a little bit of sign. Many people here that are deaf dont know hardly any sign language at all unless they go into new amsterdam for school. This little girl is studying from the you can be gods friend dvd. A lot of times with studies what we do is draw pictures for the student and help them put themselves in the picture. Deaf are very visual people. So Anasha watched what dani drew and copied it into her own notebook from previous studies.

From there we went to Andrea. She is a 7 year old girl from Barbados. She lives with her grandmother because her mother wanted to stay in barbados and couldnt take care of her daughters. She is a very smart little girl who is learning sign from the people who study with her and also at school. Today she was more preoccupied in showing me the dress she was going to wear to a wedding this evening so we didnt get very far:) She has a very short attention span and when she gets bored she tends to nod her head yes to everything to get me to stop asking questions.

Lastly we went to Rebecca. She is about 40 and doesnt know any signs except jehovah, son, friend, and today we learned the word bible:) She cant sign but she lipreads and likes pictures so we borrowed Shameniel's white board that she carries with her. Good thing someone is prepared:)

We mostly walked today...except for the ride home which was interesting. Remember the entry about the minibus? Well i think i mentioned they are supposed to have about 15 people in them, today we were in one that had 24 people crammed in. There were little kids sitting on people they dont know. I wish I had a picture, but i forgot my camera and really you cant move when there are people sitting on top of each other. Another funny thing that happened today was we were sitting waiting for a working bus to pass and a young boy across the road started singing to us. He wanted to get our attention and all we could make ourselves do was laugh. Wow people here are interesting. Ok hope everything is good up there and hope to hear from you all soon.

7 comments:

  1. Dad here, glad you had a good day. We will skype tonight about6PM, our time. See you then. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- I would also like to know who Andrew is in your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith didn't tell you about Andrew? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Faith, It's aunt Kim. I am happy to hear that you seem to be adjusting well and having a good time. I love hearing your hilarious stories. I will check your blog again soon. Love ya

    btw-Do you have any pictures posted anywhere so I can have a visual of your life in Guyana?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sis howsa going are you alright!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello faith and Danielle,
    Its Max! So after reading through your posts I have decided that the insect collecting box was perfect. I can't wait to see the spider... but Im not sure if the pins are big enough assuming faith brought them. Very cool to here about all the Bible studies, I guess that takes some of the work out of looking for studies. So the white board thing must be what they use down there?? Did you two ever have to do that up here?

    The fast vans driving irregardless of people reminds me of the drive we took from the airport in mexico to our hotel doing 85mph(mph because at first I thought we were doing 100 something)... ya speed means nothing as soon as you leave the U.S., and I remember asking our driver his age in spanish, at which point he said 12.

    So does that mean there are a lot of accidents with cars?

    Im interested in how they speak...is it like pidgin english or does have carribean sound to it? Or is more like a latin American english? What is a phrase they use there a lot?? I guess what does Guyanese English sound like??

    Also you should look at your bat issue as a commercial enterprising oppurtunity...you could create a guano market. Im not sure what the numbers are but, I could pay for the cage, you pay for the fruit laced with laxatives and since it was my idea we go 60 40. How does it sound??? Its simply a matter of shipping... you could put it in an old left over nutella container!!! Or you could ship it on the inside of coconuts and send it here! Well I'll let you guys figure that out...but I will pay 65% of shipping provided the contents are safe...and contained.

    So are you guys in good health?? Hows the heat/humidity trauma? No food poisoning hopefully...
    So what kind of foods(oreos aside)are you guys eating... or is it just oreos?
    You should introduce America BBQ, Hamburgers, potato salad, and other cliche foods...just joking... but seriously. :)

    I imagine its hard to sleep in the climate so maybe you guys should invest in a hammock... if you don't alreay have one. Or do they use them down there? You know hammocks have about 128.565% less material then the standard bed, sheets and mattress... so its like an airconditioner for a bed! Plus your suspended from the ceiling which is really cool.

    Well I won't keep going on... but I guess I will, (I have a lot to say and ask and a lot of time right now.)

    I hope you guys keep having fun. Enjoy the ministry and the learning experience... both for yourselves and those you will help learn the truth.

    When you get home sick just think of me with the cage back home investing in guyanese bat guano... it helps me too when I get home sick.
    I really do hope you pin that spider as well as any other insects you encounter...Danielle you must be a participant in this scientific odyssey of insect collecting as well.

    Look forward to hearing more experiences and yes there will be more good ideas and questions... don't feel obligated to answer all of them, but you probably should...it takes me a long time to type.

    Take lots of pictures... next time maybe I'll just email you...I don't know which would be better... that way no one else has to read my nonsense.

    Have a good time girls...keep posting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Faithy how are you just saying hi

    ReplyDelete