Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Berbice Special Day Assembly

Hey everyone, sorry its been so long. We are starting to wrap up our trip and getting things all setup for our new roomate! But I will get back to that later. So nothing really happened in between the Memorial and the assembly so I will just hit the fastforward button on my storytelling to this last weekend.

Sunday was our special day in New Amsterdam, we got up early and rode in with Tom and Michelle Sanches. We were some of the first people to arrive and quickly found the ASL section. It was a very large section of the auditorium right in the front on the right hand side. The assembly itself was held at a school in New Amsterdam with people filling every room possible. The attendance for morning session was 972 with 27 deaf in attendance. The afternoon attendance was 1,001 with 28 deaf in attendance. Another great highlight for this assembly was the 5 baptized including our new deaf sister:)

I know many of you havent had your special day yet but I thought I would include one or two points that I really enjoyed from the assembly. Actually I will just put in one from the Bethel Branch overseer, his name is Brother Hinds. He was talking about how prayer and Bible reading are linked. He said when we pray we are talking to Jehovah asking him for his holy spirit, but how do we get a response? He said that our Bible reading is when Jehovah talks to us through his word. Then he asked which is more important? Is it more important for Jehovah to listen to us, or for us to listen to Jehovah? Then he said the more we read the Bible the more we want to pray and continue that relationship with Jehovah. I really enjoyed that point, I havent ever heard it explained that way until now.

Another highlight was my roomate Dana was interviewed! She didnt fall off the stage or anything. She was sitting literally on the edge of the stage, its a tiny stage. So anywho after the assembly we helped with the cleaning. I got stuck with the disgusting job of cleaning the bathrooms...surprisingly it was much worse in the womens restroom than the mens. But I will spare you all the details.

After the cleaning was done we headed over to Ramon and Kali Buddens house for a gathering with a bunch of needgreaters from all over the place. They had lots of chinese food and then we played a game. Have any of you played would you rather? Well they changed it into Bible scenarios and made most everyone play. I went up against Abi. I was Abigail, and she was Rachel. I lost, I had the husband with a drinking problem and therefore nobody wanted to be me:)

After that they interviewed a couple from Skeldon named Ryan and Torrie. They are from Canada and will be going home soon. It is very interesting to learn about the other people down here and what they went through to make it possible to do this. There are some amazing people down here. After that it was time to leave, and we had a new addition to our group. We have our new roomate Amy here with us now. So we are starting to take her around the territory and get her used to the studies so she doesnt feel too lost or overwhelmed while she is here. Also we are getting ready for my moms arrival:) Next Tuesday she will be here and I will be dragging her around the coast as much as possible. Ok until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment